Government of Ontario Uses AWS to Empower Small Teams to Deliver 21st Century Government
By using AWS, the Government of Ontario is able to make government information and services accessible to everyone.
The Government of Ontario, Canada’s largest province with about 14 million people, looks after everything from healthcare and education to transportation and the environment. With the mandate to provide citizens with services clearly, quickly, and reliably, the Ontario Digital Services team turned to AWS to experiment with its website, Ontario.ca.
By shifting the website to the AWS Cloud, the site stopped going down, they had a disaster recovery solution, and auto-scaling capabilities, all without requiring an expensive infrastructure purchase.
21st Century Government
Zeena Abdulla describes how despite the size of the province, the Ontario Digital Service actually started very small with a limited budget, a constraint that led them to explore the use of AWS.
To begin with they knew very little about the service, and through trial and error they mastered the technology and this empowered their technology experts. Zeena says:
“If you want to be a 21st century government, working in the open, sharing, working iteratively, experimenting are the key skills you need. This is the future, and a team that is really small and may not have the craziest skill sets can actually do pretty mighty things with the right tools, and that would be my message to other governments, to other public servants, just believe you can do great things.”
Sponsors of this article
- Transforming Government through AI and Data Science - October 31, 2018
- CSRA’s Migration to AWS GovCloud (US): An All-In Case Study - October 31, 2018
- How to Architect and Bring to Market SaaS on AWS GovCloud (US) - October 31, 2018
- Introduction to AWS GovCloud (US) - October 31, 2018
- How to Create a Cloud Adoption Framework - October 31, 2018
- What should be your Transformational Cloud Strategy? - October 31, 2018
- Canadian Digital Services – Open Source Playbook - October 31, 2018
- Canada’s Digital ID Future – A Federated Approach - October 31, 2018
- Welcome to Norfolk’s Open Data Portal - October 31, 2018
- Microsoft CEO: Trust is foundational to Open Data Initiative - October 31, 2018