Everyone seems to be talking about the global threat of authoritarianism to democratic governance. The reason, we are told, is because too many citizens no longer see government as relevant to their lives.
Ever wonder why your government can’t deliver the same level of service in renewing your passport as Amazon offers you in buying a book? The digital revolution of the early 21 st century is ripe with opportunities for government to enable citizens, industry, and public service in ways that previously were neither possible nor even imaginable.
Today we carry government in our pocket, and we tap it every time we check the weather forecast or get directions on our smart phone. Digital disruption requires putting people at the centre. When you do, you are part of the paradigm shift to “digital.” Dazzled by digital as an investment banker during the dot.com boom, Scott was befuddled as Paul Martin’s Public Works minister when asked to approve unnecessarily complex, multi-million-dollar government IT projects that seemed unrelated to user needs.
A decade later, named Treasury Board President by the Honourable Justin Trudeau in 2015, he was disappointed by how little had changed in the murky world of government IT planning and procurement. There’s got to be a better way. Scott Brison leads the Government of Canada Service Strategy, strategic IT/IM policy, drives the government’s focus on results, ensures the efficient functioning of the federal government through government expenditure management, and is the employer of the Public Service.
He’s not a technologist but has championed a more robust Government of Canada CIO and creation of the new Canadian Digital Service, while promoting a Public Service ethos of experimentation. This talk was given at a TEDx event using the TED conference format but independently organized by a local community.
Sponsors of this article
- Transforming Government through AI and Data Science - October 31, 2018
- CSRA’s Migration to AWS GovCloud (US): An All-In Case Study - October 31, 2018
- How to Architect and Bring to Market SaaS on AWS GovCloud (US) - October 31, 2018
- Introduction to AWS GovCloud (US) - October 31, 2018
- How to Create a Cloud Adoption Framework - October 31, 2018
- What should be your Transformational Cloud Strategy? - October 31, 2018
- Canadian Digital Services – Open Source Playbook - October 31, 2018
- Canada’s Digital ID Future – A Federated Approach - October 31, 2018
- Welcome to Norfolk’s Open Data Portal - October 31, 2018
- Microsoft CEO: Trust is foundational to Open Data Initiative - October 31, 2018